|Washington, DC—On Thursday, September 26th, Central Union Mission celebrates 135 years of caring for DC’s homeless by hosting HeArt & Sole, a food-centric event that will raise funds to provide #onemillionmeals for the area’s neediest residents. Chef Rock Harper, winner of Hell’s Kitchen Season Three, and Executive Pastry Chef Padua Player aka SugaChef serve as event co-chairs and have assembled a diverse team of 23 chefs to prepare a wide variety of tastings. SugaChef has been praised for his work by Vice President Biden, featured on WE TV’s Platinum Weddings and was a competitor on Food Network’s Sweet Genius and Holiday Baking Championship.
This year’s event begins with a Chopped-style cooking competition during the VIP reception in which several top chefs are paired with local celebrities to prepare an improvisational dish from a set list of ingredients. DC’s top food critics will serve as the panel of judges.
- Participating chefs: Peter Chang, Jonathan Till, Andrew Holden and many more.
- Honorary hosts: Congresswoman Eleanor Norton Brown, Senator Michael Brown, Congressman
Anthony Brown and radio & TV personalities Donnie Simpson, Lou Holder and Leon Harris.
- Special guests: Washington Nationals’ anthem singer DC Washington will debut his
album “Homerun” and will be available for signings and interviews. Every album purchased
will provide a meal and care for five people.
- VIP reception features a Chopped-style cooking competition and tastings prepared by Peter Chang.
- Main event: all-you-can-eat tastings prepared by 23 chefs, all-you-can-drink specialty cocktails.
- Cake decorating battle and exotic sweets.
- Live music and art.
- The Mission will also present their first-ever Mission Possible Awards to several of DC’s most notable chefs for contributions they have made to the local and global communities, including Chef Jerome Grant of Sweet Home Café at the National Museum of African American History and Culture.
WHEN: Thursday, September 26, 2019 – VIP reception begins at 6pm, main event at 7pm
For more information and to purchase tickets, please go to: https://heartandsole.today.
Prior to the event, chefs can provide interviews, live cooking demos and footage of feeding homeless men at the shelter. Media are invited; an rsvp is requested. Please contact Deborah Chambers, VP, Development & Partnerships, at 202-534-9965 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
About Central Union Mission:
Central Union Mission is a faith-based 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization and the oldest private social service agency in Washington, DC. In addition to its emergency shelter, which provides almost 60,000 bed-nights each year, the Mission operates a holistic, Christ-centered transformation and workforce development program for men, provides benefits for veterans, helps people overcome addictions, operates a food and clothing distribution center which provides food for over 4000 people each month, runs a camp for underprivileged children, and offers a ministry to families and senior citizens. Charity Navigator has rated Central Union Mission as a three start charity, GuideStar awarded Central Union Mission a Gold Seal for our financial transparency and GreatNonProfits has given Central Union Mission a Top-Rated award.
# # #