Camp Bennett Seasonal Registered Nurse
Reports to: Director of Camp Bennett Christian Ministry Center
Summary of Responsibilities: This position provides medical attention to campers and staff, administers medication to campers in compliance with MDH standards for Recreational Camps, and acts as health educator for campers and staff during the summer.
- 90% Maintain compliance and oversee the medical components of camp operations seasonally
- Manages the health program for camp serving campers ages 8-12. Camp dates are June 22 – July 31 with some preseason work required to review camper and staff medical records.
- Manage the opening pre-season set-up and postseason closing of the health center. Includes opening and closing inventory and equipment, and ordering supplies/equipment as needed with supervisor approval.
- Assess camp/staff health through preseason review of all health reports for both campers and staff.
- Communicate with parents or staff as needed to create a health plan for any health concerns.
- Collect outstanding health forms and follow up parent communications.
- Identify medical needs and communicates to appropriate staff (ex. Allergy Lists).
- Provide proper nursing intervention regarding camper and/or staff illness, condition, or call for emergency care.
- Administer immediate first aid to injured parties, perform nursing assessments, and complete any Injury Reports needed.
- Maintains Medical Log regarding administration of medication, prescribed treatments, and other health and medical needs.
- Follow state and MDH Standards for Recreational Camps. Familiarity with the health protocols and standing orders approved by a designated physician, and follows protocols with campers and staff.
- Make rounds throughout the camp checking on campers, staff as needed.
- 10% Additional Duties
- Other projects as assigned by the President/CEO and Director of Camp Bennett
- Maryland, DC,or VA Nurse Licensure
- Knowledge of MDH’s Medical Standards for Recreational Camps
- Current CPR and First Aid Certification
- An active member in a local Christian church.
- Excellent communication, leadership and organizational skills.
- Active driver’s license and transportation
- Previous camp experienced preferred
- An active member in a local Christian church and agreement with the Mission’s statement of faith, required.
- The person in this role must be able to work well with children ages 8-12.
- Physical ability to respond to situations requiring first aid
- Visual and auditory ability to identify and respond to environmental and other hazards related to camp activities
- Able to stand, stoop, hike, climb for prolonged periods with exposure to heat, sun, animals, and bugs
Central Union Mission is a faith-based 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization and the oldest private social service agency in Washington, DC. In addition to its emergency shelter, which provides almost 60,000 bed-nights each year, the Mission operates a holistic, Christ-centered transformation and workforce development program for men, provides benefits for veterans, helps people overcome addictions, operates a food and clothing distribution center which provides food for over 4000 people each month, runs a camp for underprivileged children, and offers a ministry to families and senior citizens. Charity Navigator has rated Central Union Mission as a three start charity, GuideStar awarded Central Union Mission a Gold Seal for our financial transparency and GreatNonProfits has given Central Union Mission a Top-Rated award.
Camp Bennett Christian Ministry Center – Statement of Purpose
The Camp Bennett Christian Ministry Center exists to provide an affordable venue for Christian events, camps, retreats and other activities directly related to Christian ministry and Christian purpose. Camp Bennett also offers local sports teams rental access to our gym and field facilities.
**Interested applicants should contact Carrie Kelley at firstname.lastname@example.org